Thursday, November 8, 2007

fighting anorexia


While I was doing my online course discussion stuff after stuffing my face with rice and curry, I had the tv on and ET was on. I usually don't pay a lot of attention to it and let it run in the background while I'm on the computer.. anyways so tonight something caught my attention and they were talking about about this anorexic actress who weighs a mere 35KG. And now her tiny legs are peeling =S.. due to a side effect of anorexia.. holy :.. yeah it's the girl in the pic.. I felt so sorry for her coz now she's trying her best to gain weight and recover from her sad situation..


i used to be a stick and was a big time gastritis patient, and still remember the times my mom had to take me to the doc in the wee hours because of gastric ulcers and the whole acidic reaction thingy.. i used to be a gastritis patient not because i ever thought i was too heavy but because i used to share my lunch with friends in school and ended up not eating anything.. anyways, i'm over with it now and have gained one too many pounds and is thinking of hitting the gym but is too damn lazy..


on a more pleasant note, survivor is on tonight and this is it for the blog post because it's almost time for the show.. ohh there's an anorexic competitor in survivor too hmm!

5 comments:

  1. I caught a glimpse of it a couple of days back on one of the local news features. I was truly shocked to see her state. I've never given it much thought but it's quite alarming to find out that anorexia numbers are quite significant in the world. I do think it's very brave of her to come forward for all the publicity and for portraying how serious anorexia can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that advert a while back too. I somehow have a hard time sympathising with eating disorders - millions of people are starving in this world and yet you hear about folk like this that are so worried about the way they look they're willing to risk dying from those insecurities.

    It's strange how there are practically no cases of anorexia in 'developing countries'.

    35kg though? Damn so my own weight of 40kg is bad eh?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anorexia is getting commoner in SL... I think due to media and the whole distorted body image thing. I met a girl from a village somewhere near Rathnapura who weighed 27kg. I guess bad food habits play a role too.

    Don't worry Darwin, it's all BMI (as I'm sure you know). But for a lanky caucasian model, 35 kg is pretty bad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you everyone for the comments. I think she's an italian actress/model or something and i heard on tv that the public has been shocked and disturbed by the advert. I too think that people tend to control their diet due to what the media portraits as a perfect figure etc. I too haven't heard stories about sri lankans being anorexic. may be because of malnutrition of food intake but not coz of the body image..

    ReplyDelete
  5. this has to stop
    if you know someone that isnt eating or purging after they eat you have to tell someone, this isnt a joke this disease can go away
    will you help fight it?

    ReplyDelete