Wednesday, November 7, 2007

FB and I

So this whole writing stuff on the walls, poking each other, adding numerous applications to the pre-templated pages, sending e-gifts to show you care etc. etc has been happening for quite a while now, and this bug caught me as well few months back. I honestly didn't wanna start being a facebooker and have been ignoring the tons of invites in my junk mail, but this brotherly friend of mine bugged me to death to sign up for this thing.. prior to that I had this hi5 account thingy, which is being ignored compeltely now with heaps of friend requests sitting there from complete random strangers.. I never was a fan of flikr, friendster, jaxtor or anything of that sort I dont know why may be i was scared of getting addicted..

anways... and yeah I got caught to that FB bug.. and fell for it.. oh wait not that deep though.. in the beginning I got hooked on to it, and was busy finding my long lost elementry school friends etc. checking up on what they are doing now, who they are with, schooling, working, have become pot heads or somthing! :S

as the time went by my addiction slowly reduced to a mere daily dose.. (compared to people I know who are glued to it) I plead guilty for checking my FB account at least once a day (not that bad huh?!).. and i do admit that it's probably as addictive as caffeine or nicotine or somthing, coz I'm guilty of skipping assignment and study time to wander around in facebook :S:S.. horrible..
i sorta do see the point of their existence, they help you keep in touch with your friends and make new friends etc. because you don't always have time to send emails to everyone, and this is a very convinient way of saying a lil hi here and there to say 'i'm alive and are you?'.. and it feels good to be poked by a friend who's seas away and haven't seen for couple of years..

but i'm quite paranoid when strangers add me, and all this while i didn't know that if i ignore their friend requests they don't know it (how uncool of me) until i read this article on msn yesterday (for which I can't find the link to right now). also i'm extremely paranoid to disclose or better yet publish my address, telephone no. etc (not that strangers are gonna come knock on my door, but who knows lol).. also, it's not just for teens and college students anymore. aunties, uncles, and also granmas are on facebook : woooot! yeah i know someone who's a grandma and has a facebook profile! (cool mhmm?)

anyways enough about time wasting sites.. it's still wet and ugly at this end of the world, and I'm yet to start writing my project which I wrote the proposal for a while back..

happy facebooking!

2 comments:

  1. I went through the FB craze faze as well and got totally addicted when they added Scrabulous as an application. But I got my self into a 12 step program and now only check FB maybe once a day or so... :). But yeah... FB is really awesome to keep in touch with old friends.

    Having aunties, uncles and relatives of that that kind can be a bit of a bugger 'cos you kinda have to keep up appearances. The worst for me is that our school dean is also on FB. Though he's a jolly old chap it's a bit unnerving to know at the back of your mind that he might be lurking around reading your wall posts on how terrible school is :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I think everyone goes thru a phase of it, but the length of the phase is what matters. I know people who are glued to it with superglue. I have been able to stay away from all the apps and have only the wall on mt page :D.

    ReplyDelete