Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Trick-o-treat



oh yeah! it's that time of the year again. pumpkin patches, pumpkin carving, scary/funny/hideous outfits, trick-o-treating, candy, candy and more candy... It's been quite a few years since I've been accustomed to this awkwardly crazy tradition (so I think), and I haven't gone trick-o-treating once in my life, nor have I dressed up to look anything halloweenish. But have given out candy since I didn't want to get egged by the trick-o-treaters. So about this crazy little celebration, I think I read in one of my classes (few years back) about how halloween came about, argh don't wanna bore you guys with that (not the fact that I don't remember). anyways here's wiki's halloween for anyone interested...
People wish you saying, "Happy Halloween". But what's happy about that when the celebration is all about ghosts, skulls, the dead, blood, and darkness. What's so happy about scarying the crap outa people? hmm I wonder. However, I do think that little kids dressed up in costumes is extremely cute, but egging by those teenage brats aren't.
There are so many costume parties etc. happening in town and heaps of people (young and old) are in extremely interesting costumes. About sri lankan halloween, I read/saw that halloween is a big celebration in sri lanka as well, with costume parties and whatnot. Interesting how lanka is getting accustomed to the western traditions... nice.. i liiiiike.. highly doubt that I'd pay a visit to any of those... may be dressed as a pumpkin!

2 comments:

  1. Halloween is not celebrated extensively in SL as you tend to suggest!
    Of course you do get the English Radio Stations blaring about this party, that night, but almost all halloween activity is concentrated around a handful of classy hotels in Colombo and Kandy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There are so many costume parties etc. happening in town and heaps of people (young and old) are in extremely interesting costumes." This comment was about the city that I live in that isn't in sri lanka.
    regarding the sri lanka halloween parties, I only read/heard about, got emails about or something like that which I realized will only be centralized in colombo and may be in kandy. =)

    ReplyDelete