Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sciatica-ness

This year I tell you has been the worst when it comes to my health.  I've probably taken more sick days this year than I have in the whole of my life.  quite frustrating if you think about it!

so I had my little vacation, did quite a bit of walking at the site seeing destinations, and to top it off I was behind the wheels all the way through.  I mean that was fine, until I started to get this pain behind my bum, and almost running down my hamstrings, and then all the way through to my toes.  I didn't really care for it at the time, thinking that my skinny legs were just tired of all the walking and driving in the scorching humidity.

I return, and get back to my normal routine, the bum/leg soreness didn't seem to be going away.  A visit and two to the doctor was due at this time, coz I was in major pain in the ass! (literally).  After few very embarassing x-rays to make sure that nothing else is effed up in there, doctor diagnosed that I have Sciatica - i.e. my Sciatic nerve is being compressed for some stupid reason.

Sitting at work aggravates it quite a bit, but I can't not come to work and lie in bed every day either. so i walk around at work lots to relieve the pain. the doctor said this will be temporary in my age, but who knows. I'm worried, and I dont want to live with this annoying pain for the rest of my life.. I'm onto some drug, which is really not helping and i'm contemplating on stopping it.. also more money spent on this physiotherapist girl - at least she's nice and chatty, not the awkward silent type.

I'm also thinking of taking up Yoga.  Many recommend that it might actually help my back problems as well as the Sciatica, which is sort of an extension of the back trouble.

well.. we'll see how that goes.. sigh!

9 comments:

  1. I had this for a short period. Can relate to the pain. i went to this doc who gave some exercises and with that it got better. It needs some basic exercises and you have to make it a lifestyle change. Yoga will definitely help.
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try a doctor called Hans Mater at Lanka Hospitals. He's very good and worked wonders on my dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoga does help, atleast with my back pains. But it's best to get your doctor's advise before starting.

    Hope it goes away soon. Don't worry or stress about it too much, it will make it all seem worse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. get well soon..this usually happens to women who are stationary most of the hours in a sitting position...nothing major..believe me..and relax...ok...hugs...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh such an awful thing to hear.. I hope you will soon be better.. Try yoga - it does wonders I'm telling you :)).. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dee.

    santhoshi: yeah the physio has given stretches, which sometimes is hard to stick to. but i have my mind set on starting yoga.

    KRP: unfortunately I don't currently live in sri lanka. :(

    seesaw: yeah i'm trying to go about my day without letting it interfere too much. but it still does. sigh!

    penny: thanks! yeah which is what i do at work so yeah!

    dili: thank uu.. yeah i'm hoping it does its magic on me too :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had 2 years of continuous pain due to muscle spasms - spondylosis - on the upper parts of my back. I took pain killers for two years, deep tissue massage, accupunture and physio. Doctors suggested operations, steroid injections and just "learn to live with the pain". The only thing that worked, permanently and helped me to recover was ayruveda, I started in SL and continued it in the UK, I still have a massage once a month and take herbal medication but its under control, it's taken a long time but it's has been worth it. I suggest you find a good ayruvedic doctor and give it a try - if you can't find one where you live, go to SL for two weeks - book yourself in for proper treatment for all that time - that should start the recovery, continue with medication, yoga & massage after.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks anon. this is exactly what i'm planning to do. since there are no good ayurvedic docs around here (as far as I know) I'm planning a trip home towards the end of the year and go see a weda mahatthaya for 2-3 weeks. thanks again for your comment =).

    ReplyDelete