Friday, August 13, 2010

Parippu 101

recently my jap colleague who loves food (i mean who doesn't), or rather who likes to try and make new things was asking how to make parippu (or lentils or dhal or whatever pleases your tongue).  she had made lentil soup before, and had tried lentil curry from some indian recipe. but was saying it never comes out good (either too raw or too mushy), or it's different every time she makes it.  as brown as i may look, i guess she thought i should know how to tackle this simple curryness. aiyo!

Anyway I gave her my little version of parippu with coconut milk, obviously she didn't have lankan curry powder stuff, i guess she substituted it with some thai/malaysian curry powder.. she made it and gave me a little to taste during lunch at work.  and voila! it was actually really good, and could've been passed as an everyday sri lankan parippu curry.  She has actually gone ahead and done the whole frying the onions and garlic thing, which I don't do, now that I like to use less fat when cooking :P (healthy choices meya)

ahh I'm so glad her parippu was a hit!

3 comments:

  1. he he. Sweet story. Glad you didn't embarrass yourself! :-)

    Time to go to Parippu 201

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe...looks like you did finee..:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. anon & penny: yeah i pretended i was the queen of parippu muahahah!

    ReplyDelete