Thursday, January 14, 2010

Two week getaway


The trip was might I say Fabulous! especially an escape from the cold winter for two weeks felt like heaven.. but dude was it HOT.. and yeah because i was going from the single digits to the upper twenties within twenty four hours.

anywhoo... was great seeing my family who I haven't seen for over three years, and friends.. whoever's left in sri lanka and the ones visiting for Christmas. I should say, Christmas/new years was a real good time if you wanted to do a reunion or whatever.. all the birds looks to be flying homewards during that time. I was amazed by how many random meet-ups I could fit in with my 'global' friends..

inflation rate in sri lanka has gone to dogs i say! i can't believe how groceries, clothes, transportation, or rather everything has become so bloody expensive. How do people afford to live? When I was planning my trip I thought I would shop my socks off and get great deals, save lots on clothes.. ahh nah! that wasn't the case. the savings weren't by much if at all. people complaint how stuff is so expensive, but odel and the usual shopping places were packed.. i guess it was Christmas! I was just amazed at how cash flew out of my wallet in a matter of couple hours.

what's with everyone running to coffee shops to spend rs.400 for a coffee. So a friend and I planned an evening together and we were too early for dinner.. his sister had recommended one coffee bean, and off we go to "hang out" for couple hours before we went ahead with dinner plans. I paid rs800 (including tax) for two lattes and I swear i can buy two lattes at Starbucks or in another coffee shop in this city for the same price! mind you, the minimum wage here is $8 something an hour. how do people in sri lanka afford all this!?!?! but I mean it's a good thing that there are several 'hang out' places like that in sri lanka that the young-ens could just chill, and don't necessarily have to have a meal with friends..

All in all I had lots of fun. caught up with at least a few. hope to plan another trip this year.. may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment