Wednesday, February 24, 2010

of the Accents

I've been living in this land for approximately a third of my life. I think I grew up to be who I am now, in this country, and because of these sorroundings.. people.. environment.. and the rest. things are done differently here than I was used to. yes I did have somewhat of a culture shock when I first came, but soon enough I got used to it.. lived through it.. and felt a belonging.. as anything, every country has their own way of speech, or the accent I might say.

After all this time, is it abnormal to now have a different accent than sri lanka? after three and a half years i went home (yes I still call sri lanka home) for a vacation, and I honestly tried to talk like I used to. to take the accent back and talk like all my friends. I can't anymore. people would comment 'boy, do you have a thick accent'. I would politely smile and say Yes I do, and just ignore the looks I got.. i know what they must be thinking. look at this kalu sudda girl trying to be all this. I mean what else can I say. yes I have an accent, do you have a problem.. just deal with it.. it's how I got used to speaking here, and when you go about your life speaking to people in this country its a given that one would speak the way you hear it..

should I justify myself? I don't think so. Do I justify myself? I still try..

sigh..

darn it i'm not putting it on.. nor faking it.. and i definitely don't have a polkatu accent when I talk in Sinhalese.. so sit on it and rotate!

3 comments:

  1. Who care what ppl say sis? Personally I find it amusing when someone starts speaking Sinhala with an accent..but English? meh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sit on what?
    LOL
    But yeah, I agree with Niroshinie. I too find it amusing, not to mention a bit silly when they talk in Sinhala with an accent. My foot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. true niro and sach..

    umm sit on anything really.. :P

    ReplyDelete