Friday, March 19, 2010

a far cry

a lot of the people I grew up with including me.. we live far far away from home.. all over the world, across continents. Haven't seen each other for god knows how long and a random hi/hello on messenger or facebook is all there is. or better yet the happy birthday wishes on facebook, that too is thanks to the auto reminder application.. anywhoo, it shows we are there, alive and well.. and we still care..

everyone including myself, is always grumbly and nostalgic about leaving sri lanka and only going there for few weeks a year, that too if you are lucky.. and how we miss the food, the sandy beach, the hot weather.. and everything that we leave behind.

this got me thinking, that yearning we have, that longing to go to the land we can say we truly belong.. what is it.. do we only say it because we know we have an alternative? because we know that no matter how short/long the vacation is, we'll go back to the western world at the end.. that we almost call home now? only coz there's no abundance of pilawoos kottu around the big cities we live in? I question myself, what would I have felt if I had no other option but was in sri lanka, and didn't know the difference of being away.. would I be sitting at home thinking why am I here? or would I be a happy poppy..

now I'm far from home.. counting days to go back..

sitting here thinking wtf am I doing here..

2 comments:

  1. You nailed it beautifully. My sentiments exactly!

    I guess we would never look at SL with same fondness if we never left home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks ser isle. I always think about it.. what if..

    ReplyDelete