Saturday, August 9, 2008

They tried to make me go to rehab...

i said No.. No.. No..

this was a bit different from rehab, but worse I'd say..

does this occur to everyone else or just me, that especially in sri lankan society, once you are done school, you go to college/university.. once you graduate, the infamous questions that you are being asked is not about your accomplishments .. but..

when are you getting married!?!?!?!

especially the older generation.. amongst them would be the gossipy aunties.. mother gets influenced by the aunties, and father by the mother.. if there's a wee bit of a quieter moment in an expensive phone call from sri lanka to this side.. the first question that'd pop outa the rents would be.. ahh so now you should get married.. that would be the next 'thing' to do.

so who creates these 'things' for you, or who decides them. Is it something only for the fairer sex in sri lanka.. or would it be the same across the board..

I usually take it as a joke, and think it must be just a passing cloud for that week.. but it gets annoying after sometime, and makes me cut the conversations short to the bare minimum.. and the last words that I'd utter would be.. "please leave me alone, and let me do MY 'thing' mother".

4 comments:

  1. I think it's a part of being Sri Lankan. Haven't they pulled the "according to your horoscope if you don't get married by 26, you'll be single for the rest of your life!!!" story. That is a very famous convincing point, they bring to the table.. tee hee..

    Anyways good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. join the club! another thing these old aunts bring forth it "look at me I married at 18 and dontcha think im lucky to be having 13.5 grandchildren at my age?" LOL as if we'd EVER want to be like their sorry selves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol - what Chaarmax said. I think once you've been to uni and got a steady job (sometimes not even this!), they think there is nothing more to life than getting married! :-S

    ReplyDelete
  4. sry for the extremely late reply.

    charmax: haha they pulled that off quite sometime back.. im like.. oh dear what's going to happen now!!lol

    niroshinie: very true. wonder whether they understand the generation gap between us and them, and the way we see things and our priorities are different.

    scrumpulicious: yeah definitely. i thought this depends on the parents. seems like it's the same across the board.

    ReplyDelete