Saturday, August 9, 2008

Daddy fell into the pond

A poem I still remember from the elocution days back in the day.. when I made every excuse not to go to class..


Daddy Fell into the Pond.

Everyone grumbled.

The sky was grey.
We had nothing to do and nothing to say.
We were nearing the end of a dismal day,
And there seemed to be nothing beyond,

THEN

Daddy fell into the pond!

And everyone's face grew merry and bright,
And Timothy danced for sheer delight.
"Give me the camera,
quick, oh quick!
He's crawling out of the duckweed."
Click!

Then the gardener suddenly slapped his knee,
And doubled up, shaking silently,
And the ducks all quacked as if they were daft
And is sounded as if the old drake laughed.

O, there wasn't a thing that didn't respond

WHEN
Daddy fell into the pond!

-Alfred Noyes

2 comments:

  1. He he.. I remember those days too.. Especially during exam time, when I used to whine, beg and plead not to go for the Exam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ayyoo I couldn't do that one :S.. but i tried my best to skip the weekly classes..

    ReplyDelete